Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:28 AM   #1
Default Want to buy a: Small, 2-3 mega pixel, 2-3x optical zoom, cam

:shock: For many years I was involved in both 35mm photography and some ocassional 4X5 view camera photography. I really haven't done any shooting for about 7 or 8 years now but I think I'd like to pick up a decent quality digital camera. The idea is that this camera would be sooo compact that I wouldn't mind lugging it around with me. I think size and weight are very important factors for me and my willingness to take it along. If it is compact enough, the hope is I'll have it near by all the time. Of course the image quality is a secondary factor... there appear to be many 2megapixel small cameras out there now verysmall and even some 3 megapixel units that may fit my needs. I'm looking to keep it in the $200-$300 price range. I guess lower down on the requirements would be decent battery life or if battery life is not good then it should use some standard size batteries that can easily be aquired (AAA, AA, etc.). The media used should also be something that is widely available at a reasonable price.
If you guys could recommend 2-3 different cameras I should be looking at, that would be great.
thanks for your expertise and opinions.
cpuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2002, 9:09 AM   #2

Do you see a need for filters or add on lens? Go to https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...ub_category=22. You can purchase the Olympus C3000 for $329. It weighs about 16oz with batteries and media. It uses 4 AA batteries. It has auto and manual controls. It is 3.4 mega pixel with 3x optical zoom. I own the C3000 and it is a great camera. This is a refurb from Olympus with a 90 factory warranty.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:32 AM   #3
Default choices

Well in that price range and if size is most important look at the Canon S200 just had a price drop and you can get it online for about $250. Its 2 mega pixel 2X zoom and real small. Look at Steves for the reveiw on it. You can get a spare battery for the S200 for about $30 online also(aftermarket brand not Canon brand battery).

I would also say the new Canon S230 but its out of your price range or the Pentax Optio RS line but there also above $300.
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:20 PM   #4

:?: Canon PowerShot S330 Digital Elph
Minolta Dimage X
cpuken is offline   Reply With Quote