Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:52 PM   #1

This summer I picked up a Fuji S602, because I wanted something witha bit more power and optical zoomthan my 4700, and because this camera supports Smart Media which I had an abundance of cards and Compact Flash which would allow me to purshase card's with much more memory.It was also on sale at an increditable price.I am leaving for Switzerland in one week so I am anxious to buy a 1g cardfor my 602 for most shootingand then use the SM with my 4700 when I go mountain biking.

When I go to the Sandisc and Lexar website and check out their compact flash card's, Lexar boast about 4X, 12X all the way up to 80X for their card's, while Sandisc gives out their read and write times. I cannot find out the read and write time for the basic Sandisc CF, but the Ultra and Exteme are both 9mb/sec write times and 10mb/sec read times. The Lexar are around 6 and 7 mb/sec read and write times unless you get the 80X then the read and write time is 12mb/sec.

I know with the higher end cards you get a better warranty and they can handle better extremes in temperature and shock absorbtion, and they arefaster, but if I am only using my camera for still shots and no video, do I need these newer high speed memory cards?

bowser07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2

bowser07 wrote:
do I need these newer high speed memory cards?

Speed on a memory card matters in high-speed burst shooting, or movie mode. Otherwise, you won't noticethe difference.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote