Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2002, 5:17 PM   #1
Default Another Camer selection...

I've got to ask this question which seems to be in abundance in this forum. I'm on the fence between 2 cameras:

Sony DSC-S75
Olympus C-3040

I like some of the features of the Olympus that the Sony is missing but can't seem to justify the difference in the price...

Which do I choose???

I've found the best information for making decisions like this is asking the people who use the equipment daily.

Your input will greatly be appreciated.

ampapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:14 AM   #2

The biggest problem that I have found with the Sony S75 or S85 is that they don't know how to handle aperture priority mode for flash. I use aperture mode extensively with flash to control depth of field. When you select aperture mode even with the flash forced on, it sets the exposure as if it were shooting available light. Needless to say that the shutter speed is too slow for flash without getting blurring or trailing flash effects.

The Olympus acts as you would expect it to act in aperture priority with flash and sets a normal flash sync speed (1/60, 1/125) with the exposure adjusted to the selected aperture value.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:42 AM   #3

When selecting my new digicam I very soon disregarded Sony because they use their own expensive batteries and to make matters worse they use Sony's memory stick which in these parts is twice the price of the other two. I decided on a cam (Oly 3020) that uses AA batteries as buying spares and replacements is much cheaper.

steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 6:15 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply's, armed with a little more information is very helpful in decision making.

ampapa is offline   Reply With Quote