Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:41 AM   #1

Maybe this question would be a good one for Steve! I fully understand the jpg settings affecting the file size of photos. But I do not understand the various size selections available in digicams in general. For example some cameras give you choices like 8 megapixel, 5 megapixel, 2 megapixel, and economy size, whie others will give you "size settings". Just what exactly is the camera doing when processing the photo? Is it turning off some of the pixels prior to taking the shot, or is it simply "sampling" the resulting photo after the shot has been taken for more or less pixels according to the file size needed? If it does indeed "turn off pixels" before the shot then a 5 mp shot should have less noise when taken on a 8mp sensor. Just a curious mind needing to know.
hgmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:51 AM   #2

The answer is that it's camera dependent. I would bet that most downsample.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:22 AM   #3

To add to what Eric has already said, downsampling the images makes the noise less apparent, since many pixels are squeezed to make one.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:18 PM   #4

It has been discussed before and the general view is that most cameras downsample. There isn't any noise advantage when viewed at the same size or printed the same size. If you view it 100% where you scroll around to see the whole image, you will find the noise more easily because you have effectively blown it up.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote