Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:16 PM   #1

Trying to make my final decision between the Sigma 50-500 or the Tamron 200-500.

I have searched the internet and only found one comment from one person on the Tamron and he said he thought the Sigma took sharper pictures than the Tamron.

I was checking one out in the store the other day and the Tamron was a very interesting lens.

Looking for any anyones experiences with the Tamron.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:02 PM   #2

What camera are you going to use it on? You may have better luck asking in the Canon or Nikon Lenses forum.

I'll be glad to move this thread to one of those forums if you like.

Review sites indicate that the Tamron AF 200-400mm f/5.6 LD lens is of poor optical quality (on a scale that rates from Excellent, Very Good,Good, Average, Below Average andPoor).I don't know if the 200-500mm is better or not.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:33 PM   #3

It depends on the camera that you have, but the Sigma 50-500 is HSM: an ultrasonic drive which is both very fast and almost silent in operation which is not offered by Tamron.

The HSM which is similar to USM in Canon and AF-S in Nikon also allows full-time manual overide of the AF, so there's other benefit here as well
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:03 AM   #4

I'm in the same boat. I've got a Canon 20D and I want a longer lens. Looks like the best bets are the Sigma 50-500mm and Tamron 200-500mm. Looks like I'm leaning toward the Sigma. Be nice if Sigma put the same quality in the 170-500mm lens. That would make the decision easy. Should I post in the Canon lens group?:?
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote