Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2004, 1:20 PM   #1

I've been taking photos with my D70 I bought a few days ago and something new to me is the depth of field preview button under the lens. I've had a Sony F707 that did not have one. What does it do and when should I and shouldn't I use it. Does it show what the picture will be like when it's taken.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:04 PM   #2

Depth of Field Preview allows you to see the photo with the same aperture that it will be taken at. So, you'll get a better idea how much of the image will be in focus.

For example, if you are in low light and have a smaller aperture (represented by a larger f/stop number) set for greater depth of field (more of a subject in focus as you get further away from your focus point), the camera will still be using a larger aperture for the viewfinder image until the shot is taken (so you'll have a brighter view).

So, to get a better idea how much depth of field you'd have using the selected aperture (which may be smaller than the aperture the camera is using when not taking the photo), you can use the Depth of Field preview button.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote