Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:29 AM   #1

Recently I bought the Fujifilm s3500 camera. So far it's fine!

I was wondering, what a Teleconverter lens and a wide conversion lens actually do? Can't find the answer on google at all.

Also I'm thinking of getting the 512MB XD picture card, the cheapest XD picture card I have found has Olympus written on it and not Fujifilm, will it still work OK in my camera?

Gullanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:52 AM   #2

A 1.7X telephoto extender would take your 6X optical zoom to around 10X. Your wide end would then be around 70mm equivalent. A wide converter makes your wide end wider. You get more in the picture.

I would strongly advise against getting cheap converters – the optical quality is terrible. Go on the Fuji forums and see what has worked for them.

Any brand SD card you get will be fine. You do want to pay attention to the speed as it can affect your write speeds and download speed. Most 512Mb cards are pretty fast, but I would check.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:46 AM   #3

My impression is that most/all teleconverters will vignette at the wide angle end of the zoom.

This is another case illustrating why using X times multiplier numbers to describe the range of a lens's focal length is a bit silly. The Fuji S3500 zoom range is 39-234mm (equiv). A 1.7 teleconverter will make the top end of that range 398mm, but the bottom end will be determined by the point vignetting sets in: it is very unlikey to go all the way down to 66mm. If it vignettes at something like 300mm, the range 235-300mm will be unusable.

Regardless of vignetting, a teleconverter will not increase the range of the lens while it is attached. You will be able to cover 39mm to 398mm only by removing the teleconverter to get the lower end of the range.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:20 AM   #4

Any brand xD card will work. There are only two camera lines (Fuji and Olympus) that use this format. I just did some searching for a friend and found a 512MB card on NewEgg for about $80 plus $5.00 shipping.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote