Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1

There are SO many out there and so many reviews. Can anyone help me?

The Wal Mart in our town refuses to print my pictures when I put my copyright on it, even after I showed a business card, a letter head, and included my name with the company name. They ripped the pictures up in front of me because they thought I stole the images from the internet.

I wanted to bring in my Rebel memory card with the originals and then take them to the site where I took the pix. I guess in a way, I feel good that they think the pix are that good, but what a pain!!

This is a small town...they know me and they still did it. They said their policy has gotten tighter lately. I even took pix for my grandmother of her grandparents (taken in 1898) and they again ripped them up, citing copyright!!!!!

AARRRGGGHH. The photographer has been dead for about 80 years, and I'm not exactly going to get a signed release form from him. What a joke.

Anyway, we live so far from any Kinkos or other printing places, that I'm seriously looking into a good printer. Here is what I need:

-print up to 8X10 size

-ink that will have a long life

-price that won't put me in the poor house

-good, quality printer from a reliable source

What I don't need:

-to be able to see the image I'm printing...I have the computer for that

-to plug in a memory stick...I always modify on the computer, even if it is just to crop...I'm too much of a perfectionist

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

WI Girl
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:12 PM   #2

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"both my father and I have Canon printers (myself a S900 him an I9100 I believe) and they are FANTASTIC. Of course Canon has a whole new line in the last year - their Pixma printers. I would suggest looking at two models (you can read the review's from Steve):

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"IP6000D - 6 colors - about $160

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"IP8500D - 8 colors - about $300

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"They both feature individual ink tanks which is great - but both are limited to 8.5" x 11" so if you want a larger print, you would have to go up to the i9900 (about $415)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I will also throw out that redriverpaper.com makes excellent paper that works well with Canon printers - better than any other non-Canon product so you can save some money on that front.

Good luck!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:23 PM   #3

First off, talk to the manager of the store. That policy is so incredibly dumb... I don't have words that do it justice.

They are basically saying that people who print things there can't claim their own copyright... that is just so.... ugh, as I said, I just don't have words to describe how wrong that is.

But on to a good printer.

I am biased when it comes to printers. Here is my bias (so you can understand where the commendation comes from.)
-I requre a printer that produces archival pictures. I do not want to give away a picture which will fade within a year (like you.)
-I need to print upwards of 13" (bigger than your requirement.)
-A printer that is popular with photographers. Not because I'm a herd follower but because I want support from 3rd party companies. For example, if I buy pre-cut post cards or greeting cards, I would like to easily download a paper profile for my printer so the output looks like it does on my screen.

All except for the last one leads me to three printers.
The Epson 2200, Epson R800 and the Canon i9900.

The problems with those are as follows:
2200 - Will be replaced within the next month (Its replacement has been in Japan for while now.) I'm holding out for the replacement.
R800 - I believe this is the printer you want, for me its too small. Limited to 8 1/2x11. Read Steve's review.
i9900 - I don't know if this printer has the following the 2200 has, so I don't know how well supported it is by 3rd parties. I've heard really good things about this printer. It competes with the 2200 (so it's a 13" printer, bigger than you want) and has 8 colors and does a good job with color rendition. I don't believe Cannon makes any claims about how long the inks last. That disturbes me. Epson lies about how long they last (I don't believe they get the 80 years they claim) but they do last a really long time. Canon says nothing.

Those are the places where I'd start.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:42 AM   #4

I use a Canon i850 printer at home and a Canon i860 printer at work. They have both consistently produced quality photos although I normally print at 4" x 6" size. I have printed some 8x10 shots on my home printer and they look fine. They are also very quick. I had an Epson printer once that would take >10 minutes to print photos - < 2 minutes using the Canon, even at high resolution print. The i850 uses 4 ink cartridges and the i860 uses 5 (two black). The cost was around $120. I don't know if these models are still out there but I would recommend a Canon printer.
smankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:35 PM   #5

I picked up a HiTi 640 ps last july. We then went to a show and I printed out over 1000 photos in 2 days, (had a trump look alike) and the printer performed flawlessly. Now I have been using it as my personal photo printer and cannot fault the speed or the quality of this printer. I'm going to sell it becasue I am hooked and want 8x10s. Take a good look. Its affordable, a workhorse and delivers great quality.
gsmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:40 AM   #6

Yeah, I would recommend getting a Canon too. Some people claim that their photos fade but it really depends on where you live as others don't report fading. I believe it has to do with the Ozone quality in the area that you live in.

Unfortunately, many places (except on the internet) don't sell the i850 or i860 anymore as Canon has replaced them with the IP series of printers. The IP4000 is the equivalent of the i860 as it has the same mechanics but it can also do 2-sided printing (great if you plan on using the printer for general printing purposes). The IP4000 also has 2 paper trays which is nice if you plan on putting 2 different sizes of photo paper into the machine at one time.

In terms of picture quality, Canon also has the IP5000 which gives you finer, sharper, more detailedprints (1 picoliter printing versus 2 picoliters with the IP4000, 3000, 6000, etc.). Unfortunately, the 5000 and all models below do not utilize extra PhotoCyan and PhotoMagenta cartridges. The 6000 does but it has 2 picoliter printing.

All technobabble aside, bottom line is, I would go for the Canon IP5000 because of the finer prints it can produce.

If you want an Epson, the R800 is another extremely popular one among photo enthusiasts. Unfortunately, Epsons aren't as good in terms of consumable costs (cost per print) as Canons are.
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:38 PM   #7

Get an Epson 1280. It gives real quality results and the pictures don't fade. I have a 2000P I don't even use anymore at all. The 1280 does everything I need it to do up to 13" by 19" prints. (Really 12.8" By 18.8")It is a great printer.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:50 PM   #8

Though I have no experience with Epson, I own and use two HPs and a Canon. They are not in the same league due to the models and when they were purchased. The Canon i9900 cost about the same as the two HPs cost together but the output is so good I don't mind what I had to pay. I used this forum to research and finally decided on the i9900. I wanted to keep with the individual ink carts, I liked the 2 picoliter, and since owning it I have amazed people with the prints. I'm certain there must be other printers just as good yet I thought it might be worth letting you know how I have enjoyed the i9900.
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:54 PM   #9

Re: Copyright.

Walmart is nervous because they could be liable for "contributory infringement" -- that is, they gave you the means to infringe on someone else's copyright. That's the same theory that got Napster. And infringement statutory damages range from $750 - $30,000 per infringment. And you can bet that a good attorney would say that Walmart should pay the top. So you can understand the hesitancy -- especially when they're "just following orders."

With that said, Walmart's seemingly overinclusive policy of "if it has a copyright symbol on it, tear it up" isn't exactly good business sense, either. I would hope you would talk to the manager about this. And if not, send a letter to Walmart headquarters in Bentonville Arkansas. When the HQ only hears "lawsuit, lawsuit, lawsuit" you can see perhaps why they institute such policies; if they hear from "serious" photographers who wish to use their services but effectively can't, they might at least call your store and tell them to give you a break.

Re: a printer. Because I feel that printers are just too expensive for (me, really) to own and operate, I use online photo processing -- my favorite is Winkflash (fast, high quality, VERY cheap-- $.19 for a 4x6, $.99 for a 5x7, $1.99 for an 8x10).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:55 PM   #10

I am considering the Cannon i9900. It got very good reviews from PC Magazine. It may be more printer than you want. It will print up to 13" x 19".
budmc is offline   Reply With Quote