Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1

I just had a bad experience trying to phone an order to a Panasonic FZ3 fromonline electronics store . After reading some reviews of several sites that offer the best prices; I called the toll free number and spoke to a "Jim" with a New York accent. I assured me that they had the camera in stock and gave me the price. When I asked him about getting a confirmation call in a couple of days(that is what I read happens when ordering a camera; that they then do a hard sell on camera assessories) he said no they do not do that. He was very abrupt (that's a big surprise, right) and told me I had to order in on-line. I wasn't very impressed with his attitude and I told him that he seemed to be a really nice person to deal with (with a trace of sarcasm) and said good-by.

I then found another on-line site that had great reviews and I called their number and spoke to a guy who's name is "Jim". I asked him about the FZ3 and he told me it was in stock and wanted to know if I wanted to order it from him. He had the same New York accent. He then told me he was the guy I just spoke to earlier. He told me all the on-line dealers were the same company. I asked then why do they have different prices? He said that they are all separate companies and they do the call answering for them. I asked why did he say that I had to order online from my first call and he didn't have an answer. He proceeded to call me a "jerk off" at the conclusion of my call.

Maybe everyone is aware of this butI just wanted to post this for anyones benefit that wanted to order a camera from an on-line store with a call to their toll free number. I have read some reviews from people ordering online who were told that something was in stock when it wasn't. The call center guy will tell you anything.

greyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

It's very competitive now, so if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

There are a lot of scam artists aroundwith very nice looking web sites (and most are located in Brooklyn --operating under multiple business names).

Most of these dealers won't sell you a camera for the advertised price, unless you agree to buy lots of addons at inflated prices (memory cards, extended warranties, batteries, etc.).

These typesof dealerstypically call you to "confirm" your order, and then the sales pitch begins. If you refuse to buy the overpriced addons, then they'll probably refuse to ship it to you (or it will suddenly become backordered -- even though the web site says it's in stock).

Sometimes, they'llship you a partial order with high unauthorized shipping and insurance tacked on, and when you try to return it and dispute it with your credit card company, they'll try to keep the shipping and insurance, as well as a restocking fee, since the restocking fees are displayed in the policies on their web site.

I'd make sure to ask about any dealer you are considering here first.

In addition to the customer reviews in the price search engines, also check each dealers reputation carefully using http://www.reselleratings.com, and avoid dealers with a small number of customer reviews (vendors have been known to pad their own ratings with glowing reviews).

If you have a specific model in mind, try using the Shopping Guide, making sure to buy from a "Trusted Store" with lots of good customer reviews - double checking their reputation by reading customer reviews athttp://www.resellerratings.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:33 AM   #3

You should just order from profeel.com or some other 100 percent reliable store like that. hmm..but unfortunately, I just checked..they don't seem to stock panasonic.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote