Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:06 AM   #1
Default Buying a Digital in Chicago/Milwuakee

Hi to you all , first time on this forum and hope to get some help in here.

Well , I'm liron from ISRAEL and i'm going to fly to milwaukee / chicago next week and i'm looking for a good / cheap (not bestbuy/walmart/circuitcity) store to buy a good 3-4M pixels digital camera at about 400-450$ .

Anyone have an idea / recommendation ?
lironh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2002, 1:21 PM   #2
Default Decide what you want and research before you leave

Well, one recommendation is to research cameras here (steves-digicams) and at cnet.com and dpreview.com and decide what you want before you leave. Think about what you need from the camera. Then narrow it down to a few choices and price them online.

If you can narrow it to one or two, you may find that bestbuy, circuitcity, walmart or costco is in fact the cheapest place to buy. And having done the research you will be way ahead in knowing what a fair price is, no matter where you buy.

You may have trouble finding what you are looking for. 3-4mp cameras are going for closer to $500-600, especially if you factor in the cost of enough memory and batteries. So one more reason to really figure out what you need.

Have you looked as the Canon S30? 3MP, compact, some manual features, around $500, includes a LiIon rechargable battery, and the Compact Flash cards it uses are fairly cheap. About $500.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 4:11 AM   #3
Default well ...

First , thank you for the fast respond ...
Second , as a matter afact i've narrowed my search for -
Canon S30 , Canon S40 , Olympus C-720 and FujiFilm F601 .
Now i'm looking for a place to buy it .
Can you tell me from your experience which one has the better Cost/performence ratio ? and another problem - I've heard that getting along with the canon's battery is very difficult on lon trips , and i'm going to take it to my two months trip to thailand soon , any ideas ?
lironh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 11:29 AM   #4

Obviously no battery is going to last you 2 months. You can get a second battery, so you always have enough.

Your real challenge is going to be memory. Lots of posts here on various ways to expand, but your choices are:
- Try to get by on the memory you bring - get a couple 256k cards
- Bring a computer
- Get a special purpose device to download
- Try to find some way to download photos there
Look around the forums.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2002, 12:55 PM   #5

As a long-time, frequent purchaser of photo equipment, I'm wondering what is wrong with the store's you mention. But, if you want to buy from a camera store in Chicago, I like Helix and Central Camera.

If you are taking it back to Israel, why wouldn't you just look for best price?

If you are staying a while, consider ordering from B&H, in New York, (bhphotovideo.com) and having it delivered where you are staying in Chicago/Milwaukee. You can get overnight delivery, and they will usually beat chicago prices.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote