Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:43 PM   #11

This is partly the reason I prefer to shoot RAW + Jpeg (if camera is capable of it or just plain RAW if it's not). This way if it looks like it won't improve much by tweaking the image, I just deal with the JPEG, but if it looks like something's not quite right I still have the option to tweak the RAW image and protect myself. I've found it to be more efficient that way in terms of time, although significantly less efficient in terms of memory card space.

Obviously it's not a good idea to rely on RAW image data to overcome learning how to adjust things, but sometimes bad things happen to good photographers, something gets overlooked, spur of the moment opportunity comes up, etc, at which time RAW can mean the difference between having an unusable image or being able to salvage the shot. It's no different than tweaking a photographic negative (not that I claim to be able to do that, nor do I claim to be a good photographer).
Tim_The_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:03 PM   #12

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Even though I have a camera capable of producing RAW files, I have never found a need for them.

I figure that if you have a camera that produces images SO bad that you have to adjust every parameter manually then you need a new camera.
But with RAW you can make decisions later on. If you are trying to get some hurried photos, who's got time to worry about white balance. With RAW you just shoot then sort the other stuff out at your leisure.

I expect every EOS 1Ds MKII user, shoots in RAW most of the time. Would you say THEY need new cameras?
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote