Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:12 AM   #11

I counted the shots I've taken with my digicam by going to my photos folder, right clicking, then clicking on Properties.

Properties tells me how many files (ie photos) I have under the directory, and the size in mb's of the directory.

So far I have 4,368 files taking up 11.5 gigabytes.

Maybe some cameras keep a count. I believe some film cameras used to be able to keep a count, so if you wanted to buy one used, you could "check the mileage".

I remember some pro photog's I knew talked about cameras with shutters rated for 50,000 or up to 100,000 shutter releases. A buddy of mine used to take class pictures of kids at schools as a full time job. He had contracts for about 100 schools. He'd burn through a high end Canon EOS aboutsix months to a year. As soon as the camera started having problems, he'd toss it and go to his new backup.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:25 AM   #12

Shutter release figures given by manufacturers don't mean that in exactly 100,000 cycles it WILL fail. I've heard of an F5 user whose good care taking routine (regularly having the camera checked and adjusted) allowed for over a million cycles on the same shutter mechnism. I'm sure in those checking/adjusting sessions minor parts that had worn out were replaced but you get the idea. I've also had an Olympus E-10 which had gone through well beyond as many cycles as most people stated its shutter life-cycle was. I'm not making a fortune with photography so I can't give into the luxury of tossing a body at first sign of failure - I have it serviced and while it gets fixed, rent or borrow a temporary replacement.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:44 AM   #13

Its sounds like what your saying is your doing routine maintenance on your camera(s) and getting better mileage as a result. Other people'sresults may vary!

I'm very careful to protect my camera from dust, grit, sand, water and accidental dropping! I once did a nosedive with my camera and when I stood up, I was heartsunk! The lens was protruding about 10 degrees to the left of where it should be! I straightened out the barrel, cleaned up the lens surface and it hasn't missed a beat since!

Do you have a backup camera in case your main camera has a problem?

I get real nervous if I think my equipment is going to operate anything less than flawlessly.

Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:24 AM   #14

For many cameras the shutter activation count is included in the exif data. And some exif viewers like http://www.opanda.comwill show you what it is. Last I checked the current version has not caught up to the latest cameras like the 20D.

I think a more useful question would be how many shutter activations does your camera show and how many keepers did you get. :blah:

Quote of the day:
It's Magic: Turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:11 PM   #15

Somewhere around the 6000 mark with my Fuji s602z, spread over about a year and a half, although I'd say at least 5000 of that number were taken in the first year of that time frame.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:16 PM   #16

Mr. Pogo,

That's a lot of images on your 602!

I really like my finepix s602.

What sort of photography are you doing?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:47 AM   #17

Mine (a Kodak DX4330) is about to hit the 10,000 pictures figure after two years. Less than 50 to go and still taking good shots.

bebegrl wrote:
might be a dumb question, but how do you know how many pictures you have taken?
Other cameras might differ but mine is set to name pictures taken sequentially. For instance, my last picture might be named 100_9956.JPG. Next one, no mater if I wipe clean or format the memory card or even if I switch cards, will be named 100_9957.JPG. That kind of serves as a unique serial number for every single shot and avoids the slightest chance of overwriting existing pictures when transferring to the computer. It also serves as a cool odometer. :-) When it rolls over to 0000 again it doesn't start over, it goes to 101_0000.JPG.

This camera also has internal memory which doesn't use this naming convention - always starts with 000_0001.JPG when starting clean. Due to this my camera is actually around 10,300 shots old because at the very beginning I didn't have any memory cards and probably took some 300 pictures with it before I got one.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:54 AM   #18

Around 2,000 with my Sony DSC-P32 (not with me anymore), 3,365with my Fuji S5000 (not with me anymore) and 141 with my newly bought Sony DSC-W1.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:18 PM   #19

I (Along with the lovely Mrs.) have taken 16,745 on my Nikon Coolpix 885, and last week, the shutter button gave out (Go figure)! Luckily, I was able to capture about 890 pictutes during our vacation a week earlier bef ore it decided to take a dirt nap. I'm ordering a Nikon 8800 later this week, and looking forward to playing catch up on some pictures that I've missed!

HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:40 AM   #20

Got my D70 in the beginning of December and have 3215 shutter releases. I would say I took 3/4's of them testing and getting used to the camera. But later this week I'm photography about 7,000 some prescription pills for a pharmacy database so that should make it get up there.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote