Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:16 PM   #1

Hi everyone!

Tomorrow I plan on going out and taking some landscape photos at Letchworth State Park in upstate New York, but I think I may have some problems with exposure :?

What would you suggest I do to make them come out OK? Just in case it matters, I have a Canon 10d with a Tamron XR Di 28-75 lens, and I will be using a polarizing filter.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it. :-)
effyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 4:32 PM   #2

Because all AutoExposure system try to average the scene to a standard 18% gray, when you are taking a shot of a large expance of white (like snow) the AE system will turn it gray. (The same thing happens when you are trying to ake a picture of something that is completely black!)

To compensate for this, you need to ORDER the AE system to overexpose the shot (in order to keep the snow the proper white color). You do this using your EV settings. Setting your camera to EV+1 or or EV+1.5 or higher (You might have to experiment) to force the AE to 'brighten up'

Don't forget to set it back when you come inside or else you will have overexposed INDOOR shots.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:11 PM   #3

What Meryl said is fine advice. If you would like a couple more pointers I thought this site may help.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:50 AM   #4

Thanks for your help :-) I will post my resaults in a few days, and let you know how it went.

effyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:14 AM   #5

If you have a nice bright day, don't forget the old "Sunny f/16 rule": shoot at f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/ISO (ASA). That is with ISO=100, shoot at f/16 @ 1/100th, or f/11 @ 1/200, or f/8 @ 1/400, or f/5.6 @ 1/800. Even if you meter in some way, Sunny f/16 will serve as a good reality check. Keep in mind the light reduction of your polarizer.

Metering off a gray card is a good way to go. Since I don't always have a gray card with me, I have found that metering off the palm of my hand and open one stop from that reading works.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote