Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:35 PM   #1
Default output resolution in photoshop

need a little help with photoshop. when i bring in a picture to re-size and print...what output resolution should i choose if i want it to be the best given the limitations of my printer...for example, after i resize the pic...i normally just select best in auto mode..which gives me 266.. am i correct to just selct auto and best...or should i input the output resolution the same as whati shot it in the first place...i generally use the highest setting in my 7hi next to raw and print the pics on the higest resoltion setting of my printer...please advise

SolarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 2:25 PM   #2

I run a lot of photo apps at work, with prints ranging from 8"X10" to 36"X72". My experiance has been that a resolution set of 300 dpi will give me the best results, and anything higher is just a waste. Be careful though: a 3mp shot blown up to 11"X17" at 300 dpi can run you up to 50 - 60megs file size. 300 dpi is the best setting, but an oversized file may crash your printer's memory (it has mine); trial and error at 300 dpi with larger prints is the best solution.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote