Default printing A3 size and megapixels

hey guys

im after a new camera and printer

i have a sony FDmavica and its pretty outdated these days

so i want something with a bit of quality
and i want it to make A3 size pictures

is this unreasonable to expect this?

i was thinking ill need 5megapixels
do you think this will cut it for images of this size?
if not how big can you make a 5 megapixel image without quality loss?
i was thinking something along the lines of a olympus c-50

and what printers are good for printing A3 pictures, or whatever the biggest size i can print a 5megapixel picture be with out any quality loss

what qualitys should a printer like this have?
6 colour jets?

i know theres a few questions but i would be most gratefull if someone could help me out by answering them
thanks a heap
miike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 2:35 PM   #2

I have printed an 11"X17" photo taken with my 3mp olympus C-3000 at the highest printer setting and you cannot tell the difference (even though a lot of "get-the-latest-and-greatest" devotees will tell you it's not enough resolution). For 8"X10" apps its more than enough, and at this point you can pick up some amazing deals on a 3mp camera. If serious about the performance of your camera, spend the money on features not mp's.
In terms of printers, the most important item i have valued is seperate tanks (you are right) but also, archival ink ability, if you want the pictures to last. Before you decide against this, think of those photos you were given rom your childhood that you still treasure. Without archival inks, the photos you give to someone now, will not last that long.
Hope it helps,
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 2:55 PM   #3

My Oly 3000 can do the job. My Oly 4040 can also do the job. It is very hard to find an Oly 3000 and getting harder to find the C4040. The price on the C50 is at about $600 and it is alot of camera for that price.

I am an HP printer person and I would recommend the HP 7550, you can read Steve's review. It is a six color printer with outstanding quality. It will print the A3 requirements you have.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote