Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

I have a Z20 and I take photographs for the web, is it better to take them at max size and resample them down to 800x600 at 72dpi for the web or should I just shoot them at a smaller size??

Thank you
gamblerxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:34 PM   #2

There are several views on this question.
1) How do you know you won't want to make a certain shot larger on the web? Maybe it came out really well. So take it at the highest setting and then you have more options.

2) The camera is limited to how much time it has to reduce the image. It also has limited computing power, limited memory and limited electrical power. This means that the designers made tradeoffs in how it reduces the image. They had to have... they didn't have infinite of everything to do it the absolute best way possible. Your desktop PC is much faster with more memory and more time. It can use fancier algorithms that use more memory and take longer. Do it on the PC, you're almost guarrentied to get better results.

Reasons to reduce in-camera:
3) The camera might do it before jpg compression is done. That might improve the quality (how much is up for debate and is picture dependent.)

4) It will do it before any incamera contrast or sharpening. This might also improve the picture.

5) You might have limited space on your memory card. More pictures at a smaller size might be a good thing. Or it might not matter.... it's situation dependent.

Personally, I take the picture at the highest setting possible and reduce on my computer. But I have 2 1G cards and 1 512MB. I rarely fill them in one outing... but it has almost happened.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

I agree with Eric, and I only set my camera below max resolution if I'm playing around or letting someone else play around. Another thing you can do with larger resolution is crop. Since your viewfinder doesn't show 100% of the captured image, you are never positive about your composition until you take the picture. If you take it at a very small resolution, if there's something about the composition you don't like, you have little (or no) room to crop later.

And on the other side is time: If you want to go directly out of the camera and onto the web, you save time by not having to do any image processing. I don't know about the Z20, but in general a smaller image will take less time to write to a memory card, too (although we're talking milliseconds of difference here).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:08 AM   #4

eric is dead on correct
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:53 PM   #5

I agree, eric has it right. I would state it that you should use the highest resolution and lowest compression unless you have good reason to do otherwise. Doing that gives you the most options. If lack of memory is the reason for shooting at lower resolution very often, you should get more memory.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:01 PM   #6

Thanks, that is what I have always done, I figure a larger picture contains more information, if you shrink it down, it just gets that much better. I have done it both ways and web it comes out about the same, just thought I would ask and I will keep taking them at the max setting.

gamblerxb is offline   Reply With Quote