Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2002, 2:09 PM   #1
Default Sandisk vs. Lexar?

I'm thinking of getting a Canon G2, and it comes with
a 32MB CF. I was thinking of getting an additional
card, either a 128 or 256MB CF. Is there really much
difference between the 3rd party vendors?

I can get a 128 MB CF from either Sandisk or Lexar
for about $65USD. For an extra $5, I can get the Lexar
12x 128MB CF card.

What's the difference between them? Is it worth the extra $5 for the '12X' rating?

pll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2002, 3:20 PM   #2

Here are a couple of reviews:

Sandisk seems to be trading on the name. You have to get the Sandisk Ultra to match the speed of the current batch of cards. Delkin and Kingston (among others) will give you both speed and quality at a low cost.

JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 8:58 AM   #3

my 2c...

Are you shooting in Raw, Tiff, or movie mode? If the answer is no then in jpeg none of the speed matter because most digicams will buffer the shots and parse them to the slower write cycles of the flash cards.

If you are shooting movie or raw or tiff the camera's internal buffer will immediately get fill, so the extra speed here will buy you the waiting time between shots... It's very easy to try with your existing cards by shooting a movie sequences with your camera (you'll be surprised by the waiting time between the different flash manufacturers which you thought didn't exist before on your current cards)

BTW don't get to hang-up on brands, it's only a plastic label that the various companies OEMed from the only one or two japanese or korean manufacturers of 'NAND' flashes. Sandisk is only famous because they were first to develop the controller for theses type of flash to make it useable with the more popular and standard ATA type of interface! Ditto with the microdrive, it only come from IBM!

[Edited on 6-22-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote