Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Default Digital photography as a separate medium.

As a relative newcomer to digital photograpy, I have been doing some surfing and came across the following :

What I liked about this is the clear understanding that film and digital photographies are separate media. Comparing the two is as useless as comparing say oil painting and watercolor.
For me the exciting part of digi is the ease of "darkroom" work. With enough time, patience and money you can do lots of maipulation with film.But this is effortless in digi. It is this which makes it to me an exciting medium and one worth investing time and money in.
I wonder if others might share their experiences of digi as its own medium, and the benefits
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:58 PM   #2
Default Digital or Film

One other aspect of digital is the ability to use a telephoto lens without the high cost and extra weight that you would have on a film system. And no it is not the same as making a crop, a telephoto lens gives a much different perspective and depth of field.

Not all of us are interested in hanging the pictures we take on a wall. I use most of my shots in a reference file for the production of art work. some of this is later digitized and printed with very high resolution printers in large sizes.

Painting/photography helps you "see" and "seeing" helps you paint/photograph....everything else in between is "technique"
normc is offline   Reply With Quote