Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1

Iwould like some professional advise (I am not a pro by any means). What is your impression of Sigma lenses on a dSLR? I have read some very good reviews on the Sigma 18-125mm lens and lots of readers seem to like it. Even one of the Photography magazines called it a "workhorse". However, there are a few photographers on the Net how actually consider Sigma and Tamron as cheap and are suggesting staying away from these lenses at all costs.

For someone using either a Nikon D70. Pentax *istDS or Minolta Maxxum 7D and printing mostly 4x6 and 8x10 prints would this matter? Or is this only for professional, big prints?

What are your thoughts?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2

The Sigma EX series lenses are very good.

I have not seen or heard much on the new DG line, but am thinking of trying their new 70-200 f2.8 dg ex lens, though I am not sure what is different physically/optically between this lens and the older 70-200 F2.8 ex.

The standard lines(non ex series) optical quality is questionable :-)

You can browse this comparison site for some info but they don't have the latest lenses yet http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

Every Vendorhas multiple lines from low end consumer to high end pro, build and optical quality depends on which lens series you are looking at.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:31 PM   #3

I have a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 and a Sigma 17-25 f4-5.6 lens. My only complaint is the barrel distortion at the extreme zoom ranges. For nature scenes, the barrel distortion is not very noticeable but for architecture or scenes with geometric shapes, the distortion really shows.

I am using these lenses on a Nikon D100.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:33 PM   #4

The high end Sigma lenses are very close to the best of the camera manufacturers lenses. The only negatives are that any new features added by the manufaturers for their lenses take a while to show up in the Sigmas. There are two reasons for this:
1- Camera makers do not want to share technology so third party companies must figure it out for themselves.
2- Sigma makes the same lens in multiple mounts so compromises must be made for the sake of economics.

Optically there is no problem but electronic and mechanical compatability may not offer all of the cameras latest features.

Low end lenses from Sigma, Tamron or even Canon or Nikon are of inferior quality (everyone makes good lenses but everyone also makes cheap mediocre lenses).

I have used the 18-125 Sigma on a Canon 20D and the only complaint the owner had was that the focus speed was slightly slower (and I think he read that somewhere).

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote