Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1

The article provides a comparison of five 8 MP cameras for under $800.

An excerpt from the beginning:

Let's get one thing straight: the number of megapixels is a measure of how many dots make up a digital photo, not its quality. An eight-megapixel photo can look just as bad as a three-megapixel one - just much, much bigger.

The problem with this digicam arms race is that more megapixels mean bigger files. You need a much bigger memory card, you'll pay more for the camera (for its faster processing circuitry) and you'll have to wait a lot longer for those giant files to download to your computer. Once there, they also take longer to transfer, open and edit.

All right. Now that you've been given the Lecture, it's only fair to acknowledge that more megapixels do come in handy in three situations. First, an eight-megapixel photo has enough resolution for giant prints - 20-inch-by-30-inch posters, for example. Second, more megapixels give you the freedom to crop out a huge amount of a photo to isolate the really good stuff, while still leaving enough pixels to make reasonably sized prints.

Third - let's be honest here - it's fun to blow people away by telling them you have an eight-megapixel camera.

Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:36 PM   #2

Interesting quote. I doubt it will feature my ageing camera so I won't bother to register and read the full article.

By the way, I've got an 8 Megapixel camera you know. An A2.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:42 PM   #3

They don't realize that the Pixel Wars are over (just look at the new releases from the PMA) and so their article is already outdated. The new battleground will be "Performance'...who has the shortest Shutter lag, fastest AF and noise reduction algorithms...to achieve that, companys find that it is easier to be fast with fewer pixels to have to juggle.

The average 'mom and pop' snapshooter can't tell the difference between an 8Mp picture and a 4Mp picture but they know that they couldn't get a clear shotat little Johnnie's birthday party!

Performance is something they can appreciate.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote