Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:00 PM   #1

How do they all comapre in terms of sturdiness?
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:10 PM   #2

I have a Manfrotto monopod (don't know the number off the top of my head) and it is fantastic. Extremly sturdy.
Manfrotto is made by Bogen.

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:00 AM   #3

I have the 679b and it's a great monopod. One thing I highly recommend is going to a store that physically has them and getting the look/feel. When I went to a store and compared a couple of the Bogen monopods - the one was HUGE - I mean you could kill a bear with the thing. The point is, it's diameter was too large for my tastes and didn't lend itself to also being a hiking stick so I ended up choosing the 679b instead.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:23 PM   #4

I am actually shopping for a monpod at the moment... What equipment are you putting on top of it? Do you have a metal foot or do you use the provided foot? Can it take a head(for QR plate)?

How tall are you compared to the monpod? I would definitely be using the one I get for hiking as well.

Thanks a lot,

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:04 PM   #5

Right now I use it with a Canon 300D and Sigma 70-200 2.8 lense plus 1.4 teleconverter but it could easily hold a heavier load. I'm 5'10" and the monopod is tall enough for me. I use the rubber foot currently as opposed to a metal one. And the top will accept a head or camera (kind of a unique idea, it has one screw housing around the other so when you are mounting just the camera with a smaller screw hole the larger screw pushes down into the top of the monopod allowing the camera to screw on. If you were mounting a head it simply would not push the outer screw down.

I do not use a head/plate right now - mostly because I ran out of money :-)and my 488RC4 head that I use for my tripod is just a bit big to put on a monopod. But I may buy one in the future. The important thing is the monopod can accomodate it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote