Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:59 AM   #1
Default Best Digital for capturing sports shots

I currently have the Sony DSC-75 and love the camera but with my daughter starting basketball I find I'm missing all the great shots due to shutter lag. I'm getting better anticipating but I'd rather not have to. Can anyone point me in the direction of the best digital camera for this purpose? Another consideration is the zoom lens, there is only so close I can get to the court so I'll need a good zoom lens. I plan on giving the one I have now to my daughter and treating myself to the new one. Appreciate all the input and Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!
judyannbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:00 AM   #2

Do you depress the shutter button halfway to let the camera autofocus and then track through the view finder. The Olympus 730 has a powerful zoom. You can look at this photo that was taken using the above method.
The picture is grainy but the lighting is not that great in our church gym.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 3:22 PM   #3
Default Sorts Camera

The Olympus E-100RS is by far a great camera for fast shots. Check out the review else where on this site and don't let the low-res thing fool you....you will be able to "zoom and frame" and get your subject just fine. You can find them on e-bay.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 3:53 PM   #4

I use an Olympus C-720 UZ for shooting soccer games. It has all the lag characteristics one would expect in a mid priced digicam but the zoom lens is hard to beat at the price. Some practice learning to prefocus overcomes much of the shutter release lag. In low light conditions I have learned to set a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action then correct the exposure afterwards on the PC, at the same time trying to avoid stepping up the ISO if I can help it. Works great. You can see the results of my efforts at http://members.shaw.ca/lorich/. Of course, the more you are willing or able to pay the more camera you will get as a general rule.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:51 PM   #5

For indoor sports you've got a real challenge. Lighting is usually marginal for stopping action. In addition to those mentioned above, you might want to look at the Fuji S602. Has cleaner high ISO than most others, has a good continuous mode, and is fairly quick. Has 6x zoom, and you can add an extender to get more. Probably the best sports camera in its price range.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote