Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:30 AM   #11

the basic issue with backing up a large amount of images is multifold. the utility you use is up to you. i myself prefer to use archive creator pro. it creates a html thumbnail set at the beginning of each disc set or on each disc itself(your choice). this way identifying an idividual image is considerably easier. it supports both cd and dvd. it also can if you wish do a bit for bit confirmation of the data.

i do not compress. discs are reletively cheap where my images are valuble (at least to me)

i am careful with what manufacturer i use when it comes to the discs themselves taiyo yuden cdrom at this time for longevity. theycurrently have the highest stability dyes of the bunch

dvd recordable types- currently do not show a reasonable level of longevity and are prone to higher error rates vs cdrom. ridata seems to be the most stable of that bunch.

both of these media types are not like original cdroms/dvd that are actually "burned". the "burn" in these types does a change of state in the dye layer to mimic the pits and grooves that are actually burned into an originalcdrom.

it is unfortunate that neither can be referred to as truely archival in nature at this time except when handled with extreme care and stored correctly.

the dyes themselves are slowly being improved. but i would watch my older archives.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:41 PM   #12

I have to argee with Alan T.

If you're trying to compress .jpg's to conserve space, you pretty much gain zip buy doing so. No pun intended :-)
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:54 PM   #13

The thread originally concerned itself with back-up.

I do about 750 to 1000 shots per week. So i have a lot of 'seconds in time' that can't be repeated.

I download my CF cards to my Epson P-2000 viewer (check them after download). I transfer them to Computer harddrive, which does an auto backup to and external harddrive. When I aquire enough size, I sit down and spend time burning DVDS.

I reverse erase as each different media has been verified.

Each quarter, I copy the DVD's and store them off-site.

And I STILL get itchy about it !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:27 PM   #14

Don't feel bad..you're not alone, I firmly believe in multiple back-ups myself 'cause....you never know!

static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:47 PM   #15

Back in the early days when 2X was the latest and greatest the reliability wasn't as good. I found that compressed files were more affected by error rates. Back before good error checking was available I put a small zip and jpg file on everything I burned. If I could open them I knew the error rate was fine for the regular data. There were occasions where I could read the regular data but not the compressed files. I do store JPGs now, but check the error rate. I also record to two different dye types and store them in a different place.

Backup isn't as critical as archive. With backup you still have the images on your hard drive. If the CD or DVD checks out OK when you burn it you are unlikely to have a hard drive crash and media failure at the same time. But if you are archiving and removing the images from the computer you have to be extra careful. An exception to that is packet writing to RW. There are just too many things that can go wrong to trust that combination even for backup IMO.

Taiyo Yuden holds the patent on the original cyanine dye. It is the dye used in most CDRs and is the shortest lasting. TY makes all of their own CDs and the quality is excellent, but there are better choices for archive. Verbatim Data Life CDs are all made by their parent company Mitsubitsi Chemicals and use a very long lasting Azo dye that is exclusive to Verbatim as far as I know. The gold Phthalocyanine dye based CDs are supposed to be the longest lasting, but there are some crappy gold phthalocyanine CDs out there. Unless you buy Mitsumi Gold or can get hold of some old Kodak Gold CDs you are probably better off with the Verbatim. Better off with TY as well even though the dye isn't long lasting. Get quality first and then worry about dye types. Many of the main brand names have their CDs made by CMC and Ritek, so there aren't many you can trust. TY is one you can trust.

If they work OK when you burn them they will last a long time. The important thing is to not let light get to them. That is especially important with cyanine based CDs. Light will deteriorate all dye types, but cyanine is easier to record to and therefore more subject to light damage.

DVDs have less error correction than CDs. I haven't seen any definitive test whether that is a factor though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:22 AM   #16

Personally, I'm too much of a cynic to trust a "non-lossy algorotihm" to firstly compress then de-compress my digital photos absolutely flawlessly. If we go to so much trouble to ensure that every pixel of a photo is as perfect as possible, why trust a computer program (they never crash!) to play with those precious pixels?

I can never be convinced to trust a compression program for my photos (hell, I'm nervous enough during each burn) and I would rather spend an extra few dollars for a few more DVD's for backup.

...my two cents.
Wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote