Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2002, 7:02 AM   #1
Default Digital Camera Technology & Market Curve Maturity

How much longer will it be before digital camera technology will have matured from a price and market perspective that the dominant camera technology will be digital vs film for the average consumer?

Where is digital camera technology on it's price / maturity curve - say in comparison to DVDs vs VHS? Today you can buy DVD players for the same price as VHS players.

From a number of MPs perspective, is 3MP kind of the point where if the price were to come down another $150, this would make digital camera's the normal format for people buying cameras?
Dave T9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 7:56 AM   #2

Not another market research/consumer centric question! We're all waiting for your questionaire!

Do you own and use a digicam? Which model did you buy and what were your reasons for buying that particular model?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 8:43 AM   #3

The cost of the 3mp camera could be at $150 by this time next year. I also belive that by this time next year we will see a 5mp DSLR for under $600. I also think that there is a real proablity of a 10MP camera for under $1000. It is very possilbe that the consumer first choice will be digital within the next three years. I visited Walmart this morning and in the photo develompment section was the processing equimpment to process you own digital photos. You could insert your media card, cd or floppy. Walmart understands where the consumer market is headed.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:40 PM   #4

Yeah but you're all from the USA. For everyone else wityh identical salaries the price is nearly double (except the UK). My Fuji 3800 is under $300 in the states and $700 in Canada. It's nearly $1,000 in Australia.

Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 9:18 AM   #5

I don't care much for people who post a question such as this then walk away. Do you want to have a discussion, or what?
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote