Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 22, 2002, 3:14 PM   #1
Default Virus sent to me from this forum

I didn't know where else to post this.

Someone with an e-mail address of: bamcaulk@t-online.de

Sent me a program called kitty.exe

My virus software caught it before it did any damage. I'm not even sure what it does.

The reason I know it came from this forum is the e-mail address it was sent to is only posted on this forum and I posted it last night for the first time.

Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2002, 8:56 PM   #2
Default Some info to be aware of....

For a couple months now I get an average of two or three virus infected emails every day and many are addressed from people who absolutely DID NOT send them.

I suspect some of the major databases at places like Yahoo or Earthlink or AOL have been hacked and the hacker has determined who has communicated with whom and has accessed the email addresses of each and is using the information to broadcast virus infected emails. I doubt seriously that the email you received actually came from the source that the return address implies...

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2002, 9:39 PM   #3

I didn't make it clear, but I was tryng to say that whoever sent me the virus got my e-mail address from this forum and may try to send everyone here a copy. So beware. I wasn't trying to pin it on any certain person.

I have taken to giving different valid e-mail addresses for each site I sign up to. That way when I get junk mail or a virus like this, at least I know how the person got my address. And if need be, I can shut down that e-mail address and not worry about getting the flood of junk mail.

Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2002, 5:30 PM   #4
Default Virus

As a virus spreads it builds an VERY large list of email addresse. When it finds an unprotected computer it wiil send out the virus to everyone in your address book. But it may use 50 different return addresses from one computer. The email address of the virus sent to you is a german email address.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote