Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:31 PM   #1

i understand that "saving-as" ajpeg file will result in loss of quality right? let's say i am upgrading my computer and want to copy My Pictures tfrom my old computer to a new hard drive in the new computer. will that copy process result in loss of quality of my pictures??? sorry if this question sounds stupid but i really dont know the answer...:sad:
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:54 PM   #2

Not stupid at all, but the short answer is, "No." Merely copying the pictures does not cause any loss in quality. You have to open them and then resave them for any loss to occur. In real terms, unless the photo is saved at a very high compression rate to begin with, you probably can't really note any subjective loss of quality until photos have been resaved quite a few times (anecdotal personal experience).
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:22 AM   #3

For the circumstance you're describing, the word 'copy' means to keep the original file in its current place AND THEN create a new file that is identical to the original file (ie..make an exact duplicate)...and then put that duplicate into some place of your own choosing.

The above is just a typical file operation, so the copied file will be exactly the same as the original. Things only change if you modify the image file using a image-editor like photoshop etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote