Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2002, 6:17 AM   #1
Default which long zoom is best

I'm looking for a long zoom 10x but they all have low resolution. Any thoughts or ideas?
Any experience with either Olympus 2100uz, Canon Pro90is or SonyMVCFD97?
camerashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2002, 8:51 AM   #2

Camerashy --

For my Nikon CoolPix 995, I have a CrystalVue 8X -- that I am extremely pleased with! I purchased it after doing a fair amount of comparison research, including here on Steve's. The CrystalVue is light and has very good resolution, almost all the way to the edges.

It doesn't meet your 10X criteria and I won't necessarily claim it to be "the best," but cost included (roughly $150 street) it is one heck of a performer.

Bill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2002, 9:03 AM   #3

I'm not certain if your request is for an additional teleconverter, or simply a long zoom that comes with the camera. While I don't have any experience with teleconverters, I own an Olympus C-2100 and it takes extremely sharp and well-focused pictures fully zoomed, even hand held at slow shutter speeds (you can take 1/30 sec fully zoomed without blurring your shot, thanks to the digital image stabilizer!) There's a little chromatic abberation at the extreme corners for strongly backlit subjects, but I don't think it's as bad as other cameras with shorter zooms I have used (Nikon Coolpix 995 and Sony Mavica FD-73). I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2002, 9:44 AM   #4

The Canon Pro90 shares the big stabilized lens with the Oly 2100 but has a slightly higher resolution (2.6 -vs- 2.1 MP).

I have found that by "filling the frame with the zoom" that 2.6 MP will produce excellent results. When cropping heavily, increasing effective pixels with Genuine Fractals helps.

My Pro90 has been a most satisfactory camera.
Old Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2002, 6:26 AM   #5
Default Oly C2100

We have a zillion cameras in the family including various Coolpixes, a Nikon N70 film camera, and the Canon D60 The one that gets the sharpest images with the least problems and the most accurate exposures, even on full auto, is the Oly C2100. For $500, it has the Canon Pro 90 IS beat, dollar for dollar.

8x10 prints are excellent, aided by the ability to fill the frame with your subject.

If I needed a backup camera for when my D60 & 3 pounds of telezoom lens are too much, I would get the C2100.

[Edited on 6-29-2002 by WalterK]
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote