Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2002, 8:21 PM   #11

Depending on where they will be travelling, rechargers built for 120VAC won't work. The best idea would be to use rechargables, carry a set of alkalines (universally avaiable) and get a travel adapter which converts different receptacles and voltages to allow using a recharger.

Make sure you get a fast charger. I use the Rayovac one hour which charges up to four batteries in one hour or less depending on the level of depletion. They can swing back to the hotel for a break and charge batteries in under an hour.

I have Olympus cameras. They have a lithium which is used in place of two AA's. They are not cheap, but are great to carry as a backup power source since they last for years "on the shelf".
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:57 PM   #12

If you have a camera that uses AAs, take a look at the disposable lithium AAs - about $13/4. They have a 10 year shelf life so make great back-ups. I get something like 500-600 shots from a set of four with the LCD on most of the time using a 1G microdrive in my Casio 3000.

You will figure out what you need in the way of batteries in a month if you spend a lot of time shooting. Figure on shooting at least 10 (20 is better) times the number of chemical shots they normally take on vacation before they go on vacation.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote