Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:31 AM   #1

Is it worth it? How many are stolen? Any ideas on the topic?
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:51 AM   #2

Theft is not then only thing you need to insure for. You need to insure for damage. What happens if you are up on that mountain shooting that once in a lifetime sunrise and you drop your camera or camera bag over the cliff? What if your camera falls into the water while you are shooting the beautiful mountain stream. Your homeowners insurance will probably cover the loss or repairs with a sizeable deductable. However, if you pay a little extra, you can get what is called scheduled coverage. You provide a complete list of equipment with description, serial numbers, and original purchase price to the insurance company and then you are covered 100%, with no deductable, and usually full replacement cost. Do the math and then go talk to your agent.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:13 AM   #3

I recently added my Canon EOS 20D and EF-S 17-85IS lens to my home owner's insurance policy. Zero deductable cost $30 per year through USAA. They even cover stupidity, including dropping the camera, water damage, etc.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:14 AM   #4

USAA is great and cheap, if you qualify...

I have about $3000 worth of equipment covered for about $42/year without any other policies.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:16 PM   #5

Well, unless you were active duty I don't believe you can get USAA. However, it still is worth it. A few weeks ago I had a slight accident and some of my gear went in the water. About $2400 worth of gear ruined. Because I had insurance it was all covered with no deductable. There is no way I could have replaced that out of pocket. So it is definitely worth it. Contact your insurance company and get a Personal Articles policy (not a rider on home owners which carries deductible and could cause your home owners rates to go up or you to get dropped if you make a claim).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:09 AM   #6

State Farm also has a policy like that and the cost is also $30 per year.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote