Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:49 PM   #1
Default Posterisation in digital printouts

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum, but learning a huge amount from the discussion.

I recently bought a Canon Powershot G2 (would probably have waited for the G3 if I knew at the time that the G2 was near the end of production - still, I am very satisfied on the whole).

But I have a problem, and would appreciate any advice. While I have some (to me) very satisfying results right up to 8x10 enlargements, some of the shadow areas are posterising in SOME of my prints - a thin dark line around the edge of the shadow, with a muddy brown, orange or even completely white area where the deepest shadows should be. This became especially noticeable on a picture I had taken of pelicans and seagulls on a pier under a cloudy sky. The original picture was rather flat, so I increased the contrast with the controls in the Canon ZoomBrowserEX software. There were already some tiny areas of posterisation in the original print. In the modified print I got the contrast about right, but the posterisation in the shadow areas is dreadful!

The problem seems to affect only some pictures. The images look perfect in playback mode on the camera's LCD and on the computer screen. I'm guessing it's some kind of software problem :?: :?: :?: I'm using an almost brand new EpsonStylus Photo 830 printer. The prints are all on premium glossy inkjet photo paper, and I've made sure the printer properties are set for this medium.

Any thoughts on this one, anybody? Thanks, in anticipation.
Donald Morcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:46 PM   #2

I'm stuck for ideas. Have you tried converting your image to a grey scale (keep things simple), try a test print. Are you/or not/ running any colour management software which would modify the print file as it is spooled to the printer?

This sort of correction is often in the various Epson options, for instance telling the printer you are sending graphics instead of photos, in the advanced settings might cause a problem. Can you try a different make of printer?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:51 PM   #3

Voxmagna - thanks so much for your suggestions.

As things have turned out, it was the printer driver software that was at fault. I'm running Windows XP on my computer, and the printer driver software supplied with the printer is apparently not compatible with XP (despite a manufacturer's comment to the effect that XP users should select the 2000/ME driver on the printer software). Anyway, I downloaded an XP driver from the Epson website, and hey presto - perfect prints! Even my contrast-enhanced pelicans are spot-on.

Your comments helped me to start thinking in some new directions and to get to the root of the problem. Thanks for the input!
Donald Morcom is offline   Reply With Quote