Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:48 AM   #1

I havent been on in a while so here goes... (I hope this is in the right section):

I have pictures on my computer that I would like to put onto my camera's memory card (xD picture card.). The thing is, i know how to put the pics on my memory card, its just that the camera cant read them. I was wondering if there is a program out there that can help me do this.

The pictures I wanna put onto my memory card, and back onto my camera so i can view them on it, have not been taken by the camera. I have tryed many times to make it work, including changing the pics revolution to the ones supported by my camera (Olympus D-540 Zoom), I have made sure the pics are in JPEG format (I have tried both JPEG/JPG/JPEG with EXIF enabled).

If you have any suggestions/programs that could help me this will be much appreciated.
Peterma9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:53 AM   #2

first of all you have to have your camera connected to the computer so that the 'puter recognizes the camera as a source/destination.

Your problem is one of file structure. if you have changed the name/type/size etc.
your camera software can't recognize the data. Also, your camera software is proprietary to the manufacturer and is not the same as your computer based info.

Backloading is a tricky business in that it might corrupt your formatting and leave you with a real mess.

This is why many of us buy photoviewers.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:13 AM   #3

A JPEG image has information in the file headers specific to the manufacturer (EXIF info with maker notes, etc.).

Unfortunately, many models will not let you display images that were not taken with the same camera (or have been modified by image editors).

Here is a solution that's designed to modify JPEG files so that a camera will display them. Your specific model is not listed, but I'd give it a try to see if it might work:

Also, you can probably get the camera to display the images without using software like the above. The trick is to make sure the image structure appears to have been taken by the camera, with correct IPTC/EXIF information.

You'll probably need the exact naming conventions (file names/numbering conventions) normally used by the camera, placing the images in the same directory (folder) on the Memory Card, before it will try to display them. Then, it will probably look at camera specific data in the headers.

There are some programs designed to copy this information from an image header, then let you copy it back into modified images. However, the only one I'm familiar with is EXIFER.

BTW, I have seen users needing to display images that were not captured by the camera that used an actual image from the camera as a starting point for the other images (copying from one image, and pasting into the one that was originally created by the camera -- making sure the editor used retained all of the IPTC/EXIF information, as inserted by the camera originally.

I've also seen users report that they were not able to get this technique to work.

The easiest method is going to be using an Image Viewer, as Setiprime suggested.

Sandisk makes one that includes card readers and a remote control:

Sandisk SDV1-A Digital Photo Viewer
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:34 PM   #4

As a general rule, I don't try to write to my camera's media using a PC. This is because sometimes the drivers can cause corruption of the card (usually because buffers are not being flushed properly before the user removes the camera or card reader).

If you're using Windows, one way to be safer after you finish copying files is to use the "Safely remove hardware Icon" on your task bar before removing your camera or card reader (you'll see this when you have your camera or card reader plugged in).

Another way is to check "Optimize For Quick Removal" under the device properties for the camera or reader you're using.

Even using these precautions when copying files to the media, it's a good idea to format the card with the camera menus prior to using it again.

I always do this (format the media with the camera) prior to every use anyway. It's just as fast as deleting the files, and insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table).
Attached Images
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote