Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2002, 2:45 PM   #1
Default Maxmizing my monitor to view pics Full Screen

Hi Everyone...

Help me understand the difference between pixels/inch -versus- horizontal by vertical resolution.

Here's my problem.... My computer monitor (NEC Multisync A700+) maxs-out at 1280x768 and my Sony 2.1mp camera takes pics at 1600x1200.

When I go to view my pics they are OVERSIZED on my monitor and I have to view them at 75% to see the entire pic. (at 75% I'm unhappy with the quality because fine lines begin to jig-jag).

I understand I could resize my pics to 1280x768 overall resolution and see it at 100% on my monitor... but isn't that throwing out a bunch of pixels (i.e turning my 2.1mp pic into a lesser quality pic) ????

I have tried (within Adobe PhotoDeluxe) uping the pixels/inch from 72 to 144. But it does not resize the picture because it still saves it at 1600x1200 at 144 pixels/inch.

I thought uping the pixels from 72 to 144 would keep the pic at the high 1600x1200 resolution... just makes the pic 50% smaller on my monitor.

What am I not understanding here?? What am I doing wrong??

[Edited on 6-24-2002 by kelley burke]
kelley burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2002, 3:05 PM   #2
Default Hi Kelley

You're not doing anything "wrong" - it's just the way the chips fall.

Your camera produces an image which is designed to be printed using the entire digital resolution of 1600x1200 pixels, and probably would need interpolation (adding pixels) to get a good print at larger sizes.

When you view the image on the screen at full resolution, the only way you would be able to see the entire image without resizing it would be to have a monitor capable of displaying at 1600x1200 ppi. That's not "impossible," but imagine what it would be like for those with high resolution images from a six megapixel camer or higher. Since current display devices don't display at those sizes, resampling or making a smaller image for viewing is quite the norm.

What you "don't" want to do is to distroy the original full resolution image, but rather either make a "copy" of it or use a software tool that does it "on the fly" so you get the largest possible image with the best possible image for your present screen resolution.

My suggestion would be to use something like IrfanView (it's free) to view your images. In the "slideshow" option, the images are automatically resized on the fly to fill the available screen size, assuming the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height of the image) of the monitor and camera image are the same.

Here is a link where you can download and install IrfanView. I suggest you also download and install the program "allplugins.exe" which will give you the ability to manipulate and work with multiple file types.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2002, 8:15 AM   #3

Kelley, there are many excellent software packages out there that will assist you in manipulating your photos. I have used Paint Shop Pro and CompuPic and am pleased with both. If you are new at this, I would suggest CompuPic.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2002, 5:42 PM   #4

The pixels per inch encoded in most bitmaps is an anachronism from the days when dinosaurs and dot matrix printers ruled the earth. 72 or 96 dots per inch makes sense on a computer screen when you're setting margins in MS word but printers with that resolution have been obsolete for a long time. When we look at bitmaps now we either scale, crop or resample to an absolute size for screen display or print to a specified physical size. The encoded dpi becomes an abstraction that confused more than it helps.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2002, 6:49 PM   #5

As Lin mentioned, the optimum method for simple screen viewing is to use either ThumbsPlus or IrfanView (or a similar software package) to view. If you want to view at normal screen resolutions, your best image quality will be at 50% or 33% sizes (50% is superior because it throws away every other pixel). Just resample the image down by 50% in your editor and save as a new name (e.g. for an image called DSC_0057, you could call it Waterfall_0057 or DSC_0057a or something like that). This avoids overwriting the original, which is never a good idea.
RonReznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2002, 7:55 PM   #6
Default Monitor resolution

Everything said here so far is good information. What I would like to add, though, is that when you actually edit your images, view them at 100%. I believe PhotoDeluxe calls that "Actual Pixels," same as Photoshop.

The reason for that is that if you use sharpening (Unsharp Mask) or Gaussian Blur, you will not be seeing the actual effects at other than 100%, and your final results might be very different from what you expect.

By the way, 1600x1200 used to give me 7.5x10" prints that were very satisfactory.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 5:03 AM   #7

You might want to check out a Program called VuePrint.
It has been around for years and is an excellent image viewer that automatically resizes those large files for full screen viewing.
It also has a multitude of other features.
You can download a trial version and decide for yourself.
It comes with lifetime free updates, a big plus.
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote