Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:12 AM   #11

I for one prefer digicams to have a 4:3 ratio. A big advantage of digital photography for me is the amount of money I save on image processing - I view all my photos on computers and wouldn't like it very much if they didn't fill the screen properly.

As for batch cropping tools ... I can't think of any off hand. I've looked for options in PhotoImpact and Fireworks but can't see anything there. Maybe there is a plugin for Photoshop or something though? (Which I don't have)

Personally, I would stick to cropping by hand though, it gives you total control over what is included in your final photo.

I haven't got the camera yet, but I have the Oly C-730 manual on my PC and it says that it can be set to a 3:2 mode which is 20481360 pixels. - Not sure if that's what you mean?
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 2:38 PM   #12

Yea, 20481360 pixels is pretty close to 3:2 aspect ratio... like Steve said it's pretty close to most print output with no cropping require (and save flash storage to boot!).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 5:34 PM   #13

Personally, I'd like my cam to have a 16x9 ccd array, and select the aspect scale I want for the output device I wish to display/print the image on.

Or if that's too difficult for the cam. manufacturer, 16X9 chip with selectable viewfinder safe areas for 4x3 centre cut-out or adjustable to chosen print format.

Even web authors are seriously considering future widescreen as the standard in-home display format of the future. New digicams displaying black bands or distorted pics will not be appreciated!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote