Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 1, 2005, 2:00 PM   #1

:?I couldn't resist when I happened on to a DVD burner at Sam's Club for $100. I plan to use it as a duplicate backup to external HD. It is made by Pacific Digital and is tagged "X-TREME 16X" "Double Layer DVD+-/+RW/CD RW."
I don't know anything about DVD's or the Pacific Digital brand, so I asked a geeky kid in the store (the real authorities), and he said it was fine.

Because it was so cheap, I am a bit concerned whether to keep it or return it and buy a more expensive unit at at an electronics store.
Any advice?

Thank you,

chance44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 1:15 PM   #2

bob, if its working then why change it?

unless your rich and you like paying more. you can buy my cheap dvd burner. only $1,000. cheap!
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 1:49 PM   #3

100 dollars for a dvd burner is not cheap. I have a samsung , same specs as yours that i got for 45.00. Look around online and you'll see many for less money.

timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:51 PM   #4

It is probably as good if not better then many out there. Sams club buys large volume of a product and that is why it was $100.00. When they sell them all You probably won't see them there anymore. I have a DVD unit that reads and writes all of the DVD formats. I got it at office Max when they closed down here in Daytona and it was $29.00 after all of the rebates and the brand name is "Super Drive" It is about two years old and still performs flawless. I wasn't sure of this thingbecause of the name but I think only a few companys make the componants for all of these things. I think you will be just fine. My "SUPER DRIVE" unit is 4X write but it is fast enough for me. I get my DVD disks from supermedia store on line for $26.00 a 100. They are Taiyo Yuden brand and they function just great.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote