Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2002, 4:28 PM   #1
Default Flash photos

I recently purchased a FinePix S602Z. Perhaps this is a very elementary question but can someone tell me why the camera always seems to use F2.8 at a shutter speed of 60 when it takes a flash photo.
blosdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2002, 6:24 PM   #2

Are you shooting in the Automatic mode? If so, the camera sets the parameters it thinks it needs. You might try the Program or other less automatic mode and set what you think it needs to give you a different exposure.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:16 PM   #3

I don't know the camera, but in auto mode, it may default to a reasonable speed ( to avoid blur, but also avoid underexpose the background) and a maximum aperture at the actual zoom range in use ( 2.8 in your case? )
Then, the flash will fill the appropriate lighting power (by mean the duration of the flash) to expose correctly the subject in the foreground .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 1:27 PM   #4

I've got a 602 and my guess is this: They are using the lens wide open because the flash light output is controlled. The shutter speed makes no odds as long as it's slow enough, but I have noticed the flash goes off and re-charges real quick on close ups, or with some available light.

This will save on batts. If you want flash at f8, then that's more light, more power, less shots from the batts. You can up the ASA and shoot manual if you want.

In fact I've now proved the first guess: If you look at the EXIF flash settings, there's an entry called Brightness (EV). In flash auto, this value changes from pic to pic - Clever isn't it!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote