Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 10, 2005, 9:13 PM   #1

Ok guys first of is this camera worth $138.43USD?

Is this a good digital camera? what are the Pros and Cons of this camera? does it take good pictures under low/bright/normal light areas? I see that it does not have auto focous which i think is bad. but i have to buy it since I won it on Ebay. I didn't even know that it was 3Mp instead of 10Mp. the discriptions below i got from another place, not the one that the seller had because it said nothing about it being 3Mp.

will the pictures taken by this camera be redish color? will it be fuzzy? what is this camera good for?(what type of picture?) long or short dissdent? I am a tottal nob so i have no idea what these Specifications means. can some one pleaseexplan them tome one by one if possible?

4X DIGITAL ZOOM - Use it for close up shots, before or after taking the picture.
See your pictures or videos instantly on the oversized color screen!
VOICE MEMO and VOICE RECORDING - Its a digital voice recorder too!
BUILT-IN 16MB FLASH MEMORY - For storing pictures in the camera,
BUILT-IN MICROPHONE - Ads voice to videos.
SUPPORTS VIDEO OUT (TV out) - Can be used for live video.
- Add SD flash memory cards up to 512 MB to store over 500 pictures, or shoot up to an hour of digital videos.

Image Sensor
OmniVision 3610 1/2" CMOS, 3.3 Mega Pixel*

Image Resolution

3648 x 2736*,
2048 x 1536,
1600 x 1200,
1024 x 768,
640 x 480.
*3.1 Effective MP.

F/3.0, f=8.34mm

Focus Range

Normal: 1.2m ~ Infinity;
Macro: 200 ~ 250mm

Digital Zoom

Auto (Manual: -2.0EV~2.0EV)

White Balance

Auto, Off, Compulsion

Storage Media
Built-in 16M Flash Memory
SD/MMC Card Slot Support

10 sec.

File Format
Picture: JPEG
Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG) Sound available

Web Cam
15 - 25 fps (for 640 x 480 pixels)

OS Support
PC: Windows 98SE / 2000 / ME / XP

TV out

10 seconds with LED indicator

PC Interface
USB 1.1

2 x "AAA" Alkaline batteries

About 100g (without battery and SD card)[/align][/align]

Lalala123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 9:53 PM   #2

Wow, $138?? That totally blows Bell+Howell's Dazzling Digital Color, 10.0 Megapixels, $299 camera :lol: They have the exact same specs, although put together in a different looking package. 16MB of internal memory, non removable or replaceable, and you can fit 160 images in it. I wouldn't expect nothing but junk coming out of such a camera. For a bit more you can get a real camera from many established camera manufacturers.

update - actually I see the above camera does have an SD slot, so it REALLY blows the other camera I mentioned. There may yet be hope for the camera, but without image samples to acertain the quality... hard to tell.

update 2 - looking at it again, and seeing the boldly advertised 10.0 megapixels... that's just wrong, and I'd look somewhere else.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:53 PM   #3

looks pretty crappy. where do they get 10mp? it says it is 3.1 mp.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4

Hi: That camera is a piece of junk worth about $25: Fixed focus lens not able to focus clearly on your subject; no optical zoom, only has digital zoom which degrades the image even further. This camera is closer to the toy category!

There are too many good cameras available to waste your time with that if you are an adult. I can only see it as a starter camera for a child; onethey can use to learn the basics of picture taking.

Instead of the SVP, look for a good deal on a name brand camera. In the long run,the name brand will last longer,give you better service, and providemuch better photo quality.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:29 PM   #5
Super Moderator

for the exact same price bhphotovideo.com a reputable dealer has a canon a400 3.2 megapixel camera.... i have also heard rumors that you can pick up the same camera plus a printer for 110 from office depot or office max, cant remember....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6

They get the 10mp by interpolation software/firmware built into the camera.

Its garbage.
dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:44 PM   #7

Pros: It's a cheap camera.

Cons: It's a cheap camera.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:48 PM   #8

You'll find TONS of these and very similar "made in china" types of cameras on Ebay now.

Many of the auctions are advertising "8 to 10" megapixels. Most of them have 3MP sensors - the higher resolutions are via in-camera interpolation, not real resolution. A few are auto focus but many are fixed. Many of themhave no optical zoom, only digital zooms (add an interpolated image with digital zoom... icky quality).

If you found one of these for $50 to $75 I'd say "for the price" it's ok. Would be alright for web images and these days maybe something like this would crank out an acceptable 4x6 or maybe if pushed a decent 5x7 print. But just keep in mind that for a few dollars more than the $138 you show - let's say $189.00 - you can get something like the Canon A510 with a 4X optical zoom and excellent image quality for what it is.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:12 PM   #9

its basically a walkabout webcam :P
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 4:40 AM   #10

you can get a fuji a205s 3x optical zoom 2 meg auto focus incl macro mode for $99 (incl 16 meg xD card and starter AA batteries)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote