Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2002, 4:44 PM   #1
Default Motion Activated Shutter Release For Digital Camera

I need a motion activated shutter release for my Canon G3 digital camera. I have a deer feeder in my back yard. I see their tracks in the mud & snow, but, I rarely see the deer because they only come in the middle of the night.

I want to set my G3 on a tripod in the garage looking out the back window. I need a motion sensor to trip the shutter when the deer come up to the feeder.
Ron@gbg1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2002, 8:06 PM   #2

I know something similar is possible using secruity software that's designed to detect movement in conjunction with a webcam, but it's probably too low resolution for your liking (unless you use the video out from your camera with a capture card that works with the software, but then you may get up hot pixels with the camera running so long anyway).

I know there's software for (Olympus) cameras that allow you to control them remotely, but nothing for detecting movement, only doing timelapse...maybe if you were to set something like that up on timelapse and download each picture to the computer, you may get lucky.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:09 PM   #3

I would think about a motion detector attached to “garage entry projector” ( the kind that turn on the light when a car or a person approaches ) , some has adjustable sensitivity . Or, if you need very precise distance, a cut off beam system would be more appropriate.
You need to be a bit handy to put on the circuitry ( should be simple) . Also, a pre-fixed focus would be preferable too.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:43 PM   #4
Default Re: Motion Activated Shutter Release For Digital Camera

I guess 'staying up all night' is not an option?

If it is (one night, come on), the G3 has a Remote Capture Software that allows you to control the camera (in your cold garage) via your computer (in your warm house). The recorded images are loaded directly in your computer. You might get better composed pictures this way, too (wonder if your AF will work properly -- might have to try a couple of test shots first).
solo is offline   Reply With Quote