Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 28, 2005, 7:47 PM   #1

I have an HP 607 Photosmart camera. It was purchased in February of this year. Now with the advent of summer I have been taking some photos outdoors. I find them on the dark side. Let me explain. It is daytime and the sun is out in a bright blue sky and the subjects that I am taking a photo of usually come out fairly dark. I have the camera on automatic. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
quehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 10:02 AM   #2

I am not familiar with all the settings you can adjust on your camera, but the best bet would be for you to check your owner's manual and set the camera to a manual or P setting where you can adjust yourISO andexposure compensation. + settings for exposure give more light as dofaster ISOspeeds (tho you probably don't want to go over 100 as the photos get noisy). If you have a histogram, try using it. All these adjustments are explained more thoroughly online with a search for the particular item. Good luck.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

In the example you have posted, it appears the camera set the exposure for the bright background. If you are able, with your camera, try changing it to Spot Metering or Center Weighted. This will give priority to the center of the frame. Another thing to try would be to use the flash in Fill mode when you encounter these situations. Fill flash helps to light up shadows when there is a lot of contrast, such as on sunny days when the subject is all or partly shaded.

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote