Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:08 PM   #1

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed to death, but I'm new here, so...

While researching a possible new Canon lens purchase, the best price I found was at Broadway. I usually stick to a few known reliable dealers (BH, Amazon, Dell, etc.) for internet purchases, but the price difference is substantial.

What is Broadway's record with forum members? Have you had any problems with them? Any dealers to avoid?

Appreciate the advice.

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:39 PM   #2

There are a lot of scam artists around using "bait and switch" techniques with very nice looking web sites.

If you see a camera at a much lower price compared to other vendors, Caveat Emptor!

Most of the bait and switch type dealers are located in Brooklyn, and won't sell you a camera for the advertised price unless you agree to buy lots of addons at drastically inflated prices (memory cards, extended warranties, batteries, etc.).

They typically call you to "confirm" your order, and then the sales pitch begins. If you refuse to buy the overpriced addons, then they'll probably refuse to ship it to you (or they'll ship you a partial order with high unauthorized shipping and insurance tacked on, and when you try to return it and dispute it with your credit card company, they'll try to keep the shipping and insurance, as well as a restocking fee, since the restocking fees are displayed in the policies on their web site).

Look, I don't know what you're shopping for, but don't mess around with any of the scam artists. Unless you are familiar with a vendor, I'd stick with vendors that are listed "Trusted Stores" in the Shopping Guide

I would also makesure to double check customer reviews and ratings using http://www.resellerratings.com

In addition, I would also recommend avoiding vendors with a small number of customer reviews (vendors have been known to try and pad their own ratings with glowing reviews, and some dealers operate under more than one name -- starting new ones when their reputation gets too bad).

Here is the vendor you are considering (a Brooklyn based dealer). You'll see the customer reviews starting at the bottom of the page:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:06 PM   #3

I checked the site you recommended. Very eye opening!

Thanks very much for the advice.

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote