Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:07 AM   #1

How much time do you all spend on editing your digital photos? Do you all edit all your photos or just the ones that need it? The only reason I ask is because I am getting ready to purchase a Nikon D70 and my wife will be using it quite a bit, and I don't want her to get frustrated with having to always edit her photos before she prints them. She is not real computer savy.:-)
dbnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:35 AM   #2

If you're not doing this for a living, then your concerns (and hers) are quite a bit different from them.

Every image should be glanced at before printing, but this is merely a rule of thumb. Wouldn't you like to know if it came out?

Glancing at a photo automatically means "editing."

The overwhelming majority of the defects in images merely need, darkening or lighting the entire image. Perhaps cropping it.

Spend a few hours learning the basics of a $50 image editor and she will be in business.

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:52 AM   #3

Well me personally I will be editing every photo I take. I currently have Photoshop CS so we have the necessary editing software I will just have to show her how to use it.

dbnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4

It's all a matter of personal preference. You can bump up the in-camera processing to help reduce the amount of post-processing you need to do as long as you are OK with the results. But, you have to set your expectations accordingly (or, your wife's in this case). Many people that buy a DSLR to replace a point and shoot are initially very disappointed because the pictures they get are WORSE (in their opinion). With in-camera processing you can get good pictures. If that is your expectation then by all means stop. But, unless you are a truly gifted photographer - which most of us aren't or we wouldn't be here asking questions - almost EVERY photo can be improved in post processing.

I find, since I am still a lowly ameteur, that I do the following to 99% of my pics:

1. Crop

2. Adjust levels or curves

3. Sharpen

Other pics get more processing as needed. But to some people it's 'just a picture'. That's OK too. The important thing is that your wife have the right expectations - a $1400 camera won't necessarily produce better images - it's still just a tool. Post processing allows those of us that haven't mastered the use of the tool the ability to correct our mistakes or lack of vision
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote