Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:44 AM   #1

is it a good idea to buy cameras online at BuyDig.com and so on?

or do many of you have problems?

uhhmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2

I have bought a half-dozen cameras online plus memory, batteries etc for myself and as gifts. You won't have problems buying from someone like BuyDig that has thousands of good reviews on Shopping.com.

Early on I had a problem with a lowball price at an online store without many reviews. They provided good service for a few items to get good ratings and then just stopped shipping after billing the credit cards. I didn't lose anything but it was a hassle. They were evidently using the 40 days they could keep the credit card payments as a method to kite a loan. The credit card company refunded my money after a couple of weeks when I filed a fraud complaint. Since I have learned to look at both the quality and number of the reviews I haven't had any problem at all.

New York State doesn't seem to police their online merchants at all, so be especially careful to get a store with plenty of good user reviews if the store is physically located in NY.

Shopping.com's trusted stores are a really safe place to shop.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3

great. thanks. i was only looking at buydig and another one.

know what kind of warranty, if any, they offer? im going to call soon..

uhhmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4

Check out the retailer BEFORE the purchase at:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:38 PM   #5

I second Steve's recommendation. I did buy camera at oonline store, and was satisfied, but took some time to look into it prior, and knew what I would be dealing with. This merchant is one who calls to 'confirm' order and then tries to sell you overpriced accesories. Some people have complained that after refusing, they have been told the camera was no longer available. This was not my experience. It may be that polite refusal, and statement that you need to get familiar with equipment first, and will add accesoris later, works better than complaining to the saleman about 'bait and switch' tactics.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote