Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:56 PM   #1

uMm..my memory card wont fit into the slit its suppose to go into so my camera wont turn on and work..it did before but now it doesnt work..what am i sUppose to do??
crazzychic211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:10 PM   #2

You may have been able to put it in, but did you put it in properly? Side of compact flash card with the little holes go into the camera body plus you have to pay attention to orientation of card also. If you got the card in with holes down, pull card out and give it a half twist and reinsert it. A Secure Digital type card needs the notched edge on the outer edge (towards the outside of the camera) of card as it is slipped into the camera. Again watch orientation while inserting into camera. Don't force any card into place.
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:25 PM   #3

What camera do you have?
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4

i have a canon powershot s500
crazzychic211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:26 AM   #5

You can also check your manual.

It should have a diagram for correct insertion of your card.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:27 PM   #6

Another thing to check for is bent pins in the memory card socket in the camera. Remove the card and shine a flashlite into the socket. If any of the pins are bent over, take the camera to a repair shop. Don't try to straighten the pins. They break easily.

I recently had a bent pin in a CF card reader. The CF card would go into the reader but not straight. It went in at a slight angle but still worked! Fortunately, I could open up the card reader and get full, unobstructed acces to the pins. I very carfully straightened the pin with small needle-nose pliers. I expect the pin to break but it didn't. The connector in the camera is not nearly so accessable.

Also, have you tried a different card?

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:21 PM   #7

Try taking the camera into a camera shop and ask them to put a new card in.* The s500 should take a card with no problems and it should work also with no problems.* If everything goes well, the problem is with your card.* If not, its your camera.To check the card out, get them to place it in a camera and see if it works.* Chances are that one of the two units has a problem.* If its the card, its probably a throw away, if its the camera, send it in for repair.www.ericspix.com
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote