Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1

Hope this is the right forum for my question. My jpegs can be viewed as "previews" which generally range from 10kb to 25kb, but the actual image files are a lot larger, like 1.85mb to 250mb. My problem is this, for quick emails the previews are fine, but when I attempt to email the larger image files, it takes a really long time and sometimes will not go through. I recently started freelancing for a small newspaper and they want pictures with a minimum dpi of 200. My question is how do I determine the dpi since all I see in the jpeg properties is the kb or mb'S? Also how do I adjust or change the dpi?

rob j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:55 PM   #2

Read this question and post I just made:

It should help.

Saying they want it at 200DPI isn't enough info. How big a print do they want to make? They should have said something like:
5x4 at 200DPI.

As you've (hopefully) learned, DPI just says how many dots per inch when they print it... if they don't say how large the print is there is no way you can calculate the size of the file.

emailing an attachement encodes the attachement in a special way which enlarges it by a noticable amount. Many mail servers won't allow for large attachments. This could be why it doesn't go through. If you have access to a web server or ftp server you could try putting the picture there and sending them a link to the file.

To see the DPI depends on the software you have. I bet the camera came with software that lets you examine the EXIF data that is written into the picture. I believe that part of the picture (it holds text and numerica data like the date/time the picture was taken) holds the DPI setting.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:27 PM   #3

Thanks Eric S. Good info. I will check the camera info on the pictures to see if the dpi is recorded there. The link you provided had some good info too. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a web server or ftp server to post a link to. But its a good idea to look into...Thanks.
rob j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:05 PM   #4

One thing you can do is not worry about file size or dpi and instead pay attention to the dimensions of the image. 640 x 480 is a good sized image to send for broadband, and 320 x 240 might be better for someone with a modem. 800 x 600 is probably as big as you will want to go.

There are some image cataloging programs that will size images for email automatically or at least semi-automatically. iPhoto on the Macintosh does this, and Photoshop Album or Picasa will do this on Windows I think.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote