Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:19 PM   #1
Default Camera Choices - Next Digital Camera

Need some advice, guidance

Currently I have a Olympus digital camera (1.3 meg) that has served me well for the past couple of years. I have now gotten to the point in my shooting that an upgrade is needed. I am looking at 4 meg and shoot family outings, new baby pictures, but mostly am I looking for a camera that shoots good outdoor shots (mountain biking, landscapes, outdoor sporting events). I have narrowed down my choices to the following cameras:

Minolta f100 - Pros= slim design, ease of use, AA/Re-chargeable batteries (great when hiking or bike/camping as AAs can be used) good reviews on all sites/mags. Cons= shots indoors can be dark, small LCD, reports of breaking and bad cust service.

Cannon S40 - Pros= slim design, great pictures, ease of use, good reviews, lens covered when closed. Cons=proprietary battery

Some requirements are to be able to pack camera when hiking or biking and lens protection (cover on cannon). The main thing pushing me to the Minolta is the battery, the cannon appeals for it quality shots and consistent good review.

Any advice, comments welcome!
boboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 1:06 AM   #2

I would go with the quality choice and you won't be sorry, which in this case is definitely the Canon.

You can take over 200 pictures on a single battery charge with the A40.

If you can live with 200 pics on a hiking trip seems any easy choice. However I understand some people take *a lot* of pictures per day, and only you can say if that limitation is acceptable.

Good luck -
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote