Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:41 PM   #1

What would performance be like if cell phones used something like a mini-version of the sensor in the Fuji F10 camera? For example, would it be possible for a cell phone cam to have the following:
2 megapixel (1600x1200) or 1.3 megapixel (1280x960) sensor that's about 1 or less stop less sensitive than the sensor in the Fuji F10 (this sensor would be quite a bit smaller - I'd guess one that was AS sensitive would be something like 2 megapixels on a 1/3.2" sensor, and one that was 1 stop less would be maybe 1.3 megapixels on a 1/5" sensor. (also with a .5 megapixel or .3 megapixel option for an extra stop or two of sensitivity (it'd use a group of 4 pixels to combine as 1 to reduce the noise))
a max focal length somewhere between 45mm and 72mm maybe (don't need much telephoto, but I do want to be able to have focal lengths comparable to what professionals use for portrait photography - I've heard 45 is one dimension (probably the diagonal across a 35mm frame (although I think I'm a couple mm off), and I've also heard numbers like 50mm and 70mm referred to.
an aperture of F/1.4 (there are inexpensive video cameras that have this, and I'm not asking for NEARLY the optical zoom range they have so the lens doesn't need to be anywhere NEAR as big. I'd even think F/1.0 or larger might even be possible.)

Or, based on how small a lens can get and how good the Fuji F10 sensor is, how good of a cell phone camera do you think could be made?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links