Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:04 PM   #1

I need a pair - 3 good lenses to replace this crappy 18-55 that came with kit. (I think it's almost a crime to sell such a crappy lens with such a good camera). the only thing that saves this lens is that @ ISO 800 the image is almost noiseless...

Whell I'm mostly taking pictures of peaple, nature, landscapes , so I need little wide angle, anda medium telephoto lense , which may be a working horse. Where to find a good review or smth to make things clear???

What do you suggest?
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:28 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Can you give some more detail as to what you think is wrong with the 18-55 lens? Optically it's not a bad lens at all.

Also perhaps head over to the Canon Lenses forum for more advice.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:54 AM   #3

I actually agree with you about the 18-55. I got it with the 20D when I bought it on release. I would have gone "body only" but here in Spain you have very little choice.

I immediately put it in the drawer and have never used it but this is just my opinion. The 20D is an excellent, quality camera that has years of research and development in it along with bags of features. The lens on the other hand is poor. The plastic mount is more susceptable to wear and tear, and the manual focussing is laughable.

I guess it is ok for a newbie on a limited budget but it could put people off who were expecting great things from the camera and don´t understand that it is the lens that is actually bad, not the camera.

To get back to your original question, if you have the budget go for the 16-35mm F2.8 L and the 70-200mm F2.8 "L". If the 70-200 is too long, try the 24-70 L, with the crop factor you will have a nice range for portraiture.

As you seem to be well aware of the need for good glass, go "L" every time if you can afford it. If you can´t STILL go "L" but just one at a time. They will last forever!

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote