Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:56 PM   #1

After three full disks (275 shots)of 8 megapixel pictures, the hard drive on my computer is getting full.

Where are some other storage recommendations??
Ladythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

Themost popular choiceis probably burning them to CD or DVD. The writers are very cheap these days, and the discs cost pennies if bought in bulk.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:07 PM   #3

There are several issues here.

First is that you need to back up your images. You would hate to loose all those images due to a hard disk crash, right? Most people burn DVDs or CD-Roms for backups. I found that I wasn't doing that (too much of a hassle) so I just back them up to a second hard disk. Not great (I can't take an extra copy off-site so if my house burns down I loose the images... if someone robs my house I could loose all my images) but certainly better than having them all on one disk.

Second there is the question of what you do day-to-day with your images. You either need another hard disk, or back them up to another medium and remove them from your local hard disk. Both would work.

You might be able to add an internal disk, or you could buy an external disk.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:25 PM   #4

my hard drive is big enough that short-to-medium term storage isn't a problem (at least not yet! :roll, but i can see where i will at some point need more space. an external ZIP drive plugged into your USB port might be a good way to do it, as would burning CDs, although that can take a good deal of time. CDs are cheaper by far, though, and easy to archive...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:30 PM   #5

I burn mine to Cd and I also upload themto my photo album on Yahoo
leeanne172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:45 AM   #6

Used store on HD for processing and archive them to 2 different sets of CD-Rs. Nowadays, I store on my HD for processing, backup on my portable storage device and then archive them to DVD-Rs when I get to 4.7GB of images everytime.

Hope this helps.
leongty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:45 AM   #7

My solution is to store on an external hard drive and back up to CD-RW.
kaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8

LadyThump - You left out so much info that we can only answer in general terms.
I'll make dangerous assumptions:

You have transfered your shots to your hard drive (computer)
You have refornatted your CF card IN CAMERA, not with computer.

If you only have files on your computer - you are wide open to disaster in the form of general computer virus/system crashes/accidental file erasure, etc.
Many of us have learned that a CD/DVD backup is the first line of defense, followed by a separate (external) harddrive copy. Some go even further and have a second off-site copy in case of fire or robbery.

a CD costs around $.30 or so nowdays - pretty cheap insurance. They hold the contents of a 512Mb CF card very nicely.

The important thing is that you do something !! You just may have the last picture of something important and not know it til a year from now. backup and Archiving are critical.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote