Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:43 AM   #11
Super Moderator

A policewoman stopped me from taking photographs at Liverpool Street station a couple of weeks ago.

She was embarassed and entirely non-confrontational because she knew it was nonsense, but the police in London are wonderful and unfailingly polite as they have demonstrated over the last 24 hours.

I didn't feel safer because she stopped me taking photos, and indeed this nonsense has been horribly demonstrated in the last 24 hours. One of the bombs that killed 7 people was detonated in a tunnel next to Liverpool Street station. You don't need photographs to detonate a bomb in a tunnel.

By restricting our civil liberties we hand victory to the terrorists and hurt ourselves far more than they are capable of hurting us.

My grandparents lived through the blitz, and we have lived through many years of the IRA - we didn't buckle under that pressure and we're not going to buckle now. Londoners are made of sterner stuff.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:32 PM   #12

To all who posted on this thread:

You decry your loss of "personal liberty" to shoot wherever.

Unfortunately, you all "miss" the advantages of this.

If someone, after the ban, is shooting pics or video (as have already been found in the caves of AF), he/she will be immediately suspect.

And rightfully so.

We live in a VERY different world than the "greatest generation". Now,the hump-chump cowards of the worldhave the potential toinflict great casualties (ie, biologic or nuclear or chemical) with residual effects that could last for years.

It behooves each and every citizen of USA or their respective country to exercise both restraint (dont take photos where prohibited) and vigilance (report any suspicous activity to law enforcement).

With all due respect, I suggest you look beyond yourself, expand your view and see the greater good.

For those of you who "hear" this message, I sincerely thank you.

For those who don't "hear" this message...what can I say? You view your personal needs over the greater good.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:56 PM   #13

I never took a pic in the subway, and I don't really feel the need to. However, this law/project is utterly stupid. As was said above, there's always a way to snap a shot incognito with a small camera, the evil terrorist won't pull out a reflector and tripod from his bag.

Knives kill, so let's get rid of all that evil, nasty metal that's hidden in thousand of kitchens all over the world. It'd be a safer place.
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:59 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Comrade digcamfan is indeed correct!

We must all make sacrifices for the greater good, and let us consign to the dustbin of history those quaint and outmoded notions of individual liberty and freedom that have shown themselves to be so bankrupt.

Nor should you let yourself be swayed by such pathetically transparent appeals by one of the so-called "Founding Fathers" of the Peoples Republic of the United States who once laughably claimed in the Historical Review of Pennsylvania of 1759:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

With proper historical perspective we can now see what a ridiculous and ephemeral notion liberty for the individual has proven to be. The proper allocation of rights is to social groups as defined by the state, which is the only proper and benevolent provider of the social good, for an individual to bemoan loss of freedom when so much more is at stake is selfish and indeed childish; fortunately we in the civilised world have put such notions behind us.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:35 AM   #15

Look who is in office!

Someone might take a picture of those missing 'weapons of mass destruction'!:evil:
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote