Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2005, 5:13 PM   #1

I see at times, that some of you comment on other people's posts, such as camera settings, lens type etc... How can you tell that from looking at the pictures posted here, if the poster doesn't list it? Where/ how can you tell?
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 5:51 PM   #2

First, you must have software that can read EXIF information from the image. PSP9 and PS are capable of this. Some browsers may be able to do it. What I do is right click the image and click save image as and save it somewhere on my hard disk. I then open it with a program that is EXIF capable. From there, I attempt to read the EXIF information from the image. Note that not all images posted on the internet contain EXIF information.

There is a program called EXIFER that supposedly does wondrous things with EXIF data including editing it and adding information if it is missing. This is a downloadable program but I don't recall if it is freeware or not.

Note that only jpeg files have the capability of storing EXIF information.

Hope this helps.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:43 PM   #3

Yes, I believe EXIFER is freeware (costs nothing.)

It can be found here:

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4

ipanda is also free and is what I use. I just right click on the image and choose view exif from the box that appears. Very simple
deetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:42 PM   #5

As deetle said, Opanda IExif (now version 2.2), is free. I also use it.

It gives a menu entry in the right click context.

You just right click on an image, either on your hard drive or in your web browser (no need to save an image to your hard drive), and so long as the exif is in the file you can view it.

As both Cal and Eric have pointed out, Exifer is also a very good Exif reader and editor. For example : another member made the (easy) mistake of not changing the time and date in his camera when travelling recently, consequently the time was out by 19 hours. Using Exifer he was able to batch correct the time of all his holiday snaps !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote