Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1

Many cameras out today that have MSRPs of $400 or even $450 can be had on discount superstore websites for as low as $280. Take the Powershot G6 for example: Steve's Digicams review claims that this camera has a "street price" of $699, yet now you can buy one for $469 from a discount site. I am thinking about waiting for the Casio EX-S500 to have a price drop just like every camera has, but I want to know, how long does it take for a $400 camera to drop to $300 on dealtime.com?
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:39 AM   #2

There is no set rule for price drops. Retailers take many things into consideration when making price decisions. Mostly though, priceis dictated by what the retailer pays the vendor for the camera. That being said, typically prices don't really start to fall until new models come out, which could be anywhere from 6 months to a year after the release. Even then its generally a slow process, $25 to $50 at a time. The only real bargains would be open box/display models. If your really concerned about price check out ebay. There are many reputable sellers on ebay..be sure to check feedback though. I would avoid any online sellers that have prices too good to be true (more than $100 under street). They often charge extra for cables, batteries, or even software that should come with the camera, and often won't fill your order if you don't buy overpriced "extras". Check out resellersratings.com to check out online vendors.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote